This is from Chris Kidd from StyleCareers.com. Thanks Chris!
Just over 100 recruiters responded to our survey about their top pet peeves and while most of the respondents work directly for the hiring companies, agency recruiters are represented as well. We hope this information is helpful in your job search. We also collected the Top 5 things that IMPRESS fashion industry recruiters. Please join the StyleCareers group on LinkedIn.com to see those results.
The Fashion Industry Recruiter's Top 5 Pet Peeves with Job Seekers:
1) Applying to positions for which they are not qualified.
2) Unprepared for the interview (i.e.: not researching company, generic questions, etc...).
3) Poorly written resume and/or generic cover letter (or no cover letter at all).
4) Embellishing and/or falsifying their resume.
5) Aggressive job-seekers (i.e.: applying more than once, calling/emailing excessively, defensive attitude).
Honorable mentions include:
· Not following application instructions
· Arriving early/late to an interview
· Personal presentation (i.e. poorly dressed, too much perfume, etc.)
· Unenthusiastic about position, just wanting a job
The bottom line is that job seekers should be thoughtful in every step of the job search process. Remember, at the end of the day, it is people dealing with people.