Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let's Get Started! Your Style Career Toolkit


WOW! I sent out an email to a few friends and contacts about my new blog and the support has been truly overwhelming. Thank you so much for the encouragement! It feels good to be able to give back after receiving so much help over the years during my retail career.

There has been a lot of talk about the job market lately, and the reality is it's tough out there. In order to put the optimism back into your career search, I want to recommend a few things for your personal
Style Career Toolkit.

Make a Name For Yourself: 8 Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy For Success by Robin Fisher Roffer.....I purchased this book when I was a senior in high school and I can honestly say that it is still very inspiring each time I browse through it. Robin's philosophy helps you to identify your strengths by thinking about your values and passions. It was difficult for me at first to really figure out how I could translate my love of fashion into a full-fledged career. I had to think outside the box. This book taught me how to use my passion to create focus and pursue a career that utilizes my talents.


Gallery of Best Resumes: A Collection of Quality Resumes by Professional Resume Writers by David F. Noble...This book is sure to inspire you as you are seeking to create the PERRR-FECT resume and cover letter for all your style career interviews. The best part is that there are examples of resumes for professionals in buying, fashion journalism, and fashion PR and event planning, just to name a few, which are more difficult to find in other resume guides that I have looked through. In addition to resume examples, there's a big section with examples of cover letters too. How delightful!!


Am I the only one OBSESSED with this website??? LinkedIn makes it super easy for anyone on the web to touch base with a professional in any fashion, beauty, or retail field. Beware-this is NOT a site for HR stalkers!-but anyone who creates an account will be able to post an online profile, similar to a virtual resume. There are also GREAT groups you can join that will connect you with people in your desired field. I know many people in the fashion and retail industry who have been offered jobs via LinkedIn. This site is sure to open doors for networking, internships, and career opportunities. (If you see my profile, feel free to send me an invite to connect!)

Do you have any other suggestions for building your Style Career Toolkit? Send me a note and I'll post them up!

ttyl,
Nicole Marie


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post,The affiliation work so needs gifted among the general open and people can do anything for the affiliation work but now you can visit their website for useful task. I think it is an average acceptability for the Telangana people and should take the favored point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some informative post where you can really find out as how they do their work on the personal writing side and how it could be going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are really connected to the university side then you need to complete the appeal letter and you get the writings service from this http://www.samplecoverletters.net/useful-sample-cover-letter-compliance-officer/ page at any time.

    ReplyDelete